Saturday

My Valentines


The following poem is special to me because it expresses the kind of mother my mother was to me (Thank you, Mom!) AND the kind of mother I desire to be to my boys.
I want my boys to know they're loved every single day . . . no matter what!  Time goes too fast to take for granted.  I'm not as good at the little things in this poem as my Mom was (I have a serious uneasiness with disorder that my mother didn't have), but learning how to love from the best has helped me tremendously.
I have to thank my valentine-husband for loving me for being the kind of mother I want to be! He knows what a gift motherhood is to me and he knows how much I love my boys and he loves me for it.
Happy St. Valentine's Day to all of my Valentines!  I am soooooooo blessed! 

Mother, oh Mother,
come shake out your cloth,
empty the dustpan,
poison the moth,
hang out the washing
and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house
is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery,
blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little
Boy Blue (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done
and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing
will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up,
as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep. 

~Author Unknown ~

No comments: