Thursday

Our Society ~ Our Place


It's important to me that anyone who visits this blog understands that I do not think people who have had an abortion are bad people.  I think a society that allows abortions is a bad society.  Unfortunately this is a society that treats sex casually and thus everything that goes along with it has become far too casual.  How did we get here?  Why is abortion an option at all?  No matter how difficult a person's life is, or their unborn baby's life may be, that is not a reason to end life.  Having an abortion is looked at as a solution to a problem.  Our own president-elect has said, "I have two daughters...If they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

The problem is not the baby, the problem is our society's attitude toward the baby.  The attitude appears to be that life is disposable.  I find it so ironic that when a new born baby is found in a dumpster it makes the local news and yet every single day babies are thrown out in the trash of abortion clinics.

My favorite rationale from many of my "pro-choice" acquaintances is, "I could never have an abortion, but it's not my place to say that others shouldn't."  You've got to be kidding me!  I would never drown my children in a bath tub, but it's not my place to say that Andrea Yates shouldn't.  I would never kill my spouse, but it's not my place to say that O. J. Simpson shouldn't.  I would never be sexually inappropriate with the children in my catechism class, but it's not my place to say that the priest shouldn't.  I would never drink and drive, but it's not my place to say that others shouldn't.  Come on, people, wake up!

Until the fence riders decide that abortion is as wrong as drowning our children, killing each other, sexually molesting our children and drunk driving - babies are going to continue to die.  And they're not going to die because someone is mentally ill, or drunk, but because "it's not our place to say".

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

  

No comments: